Tuesday 19 April 2011

agoy for yoga(yaaaaaaaaaaaaay:)!

That tells me two things:

1) Stretching still doesn't prevent injuries.
2) The injury rate for runners is downright insane.

Personally, I wouldn't take part in any activity where a sixth of the participants are practically guaranteed injury, and we're not talking stubbed toes here: These were injuries that prevented the volunteers from running for at least a week.

But none of this should surprise anyone, least of all runners. Every one of them spends a good chunk of life -- about a sixth of the time, as it turns out -- nursing some kind of injury.

Here's the real deal: Feel free to stretch all you want... but skip the running!

Your body doesn't need to be punished, and all the sweat and torture in the world won't save your life or even help you to lose weight.

But it will put you at risk for serious injury, heart failure and even death, no matter what your age, or how "healthy" you think you are.

The real key to good health won't be found in a gym or on a track -- it'll be found in your fridge and on your dinner table.

Avoid carbs -- especially sugar -- and get some natural movement throughout the day, and you'll be just fine.

And I'm not stretching the truth.


Source: Dr. William Campbell Douglas MD.

6 comments:

kelli said...

ha, this is funny because i really don't like to run. yoga and pilates are more my speed, and some light walking.=)

Cosmic said...

I guess 'tis the perfect excuse if any, Kelli!

xoxo

Cosmic said...

I guess 'tis the perfect excuse if any, Kelli!

xoxo

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

I have to say I tried jogging once, and after a couple of days I twisted my ankle and thought, hmm what is the point of this. here i am trying to be more healthy and I just damage myself. yoga all the way for me!

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

and a friend of mine ran the marathon and lost ALL HER TOENAILS. apparently it is quite common. yuk - O

Cosmic said...

I'm with ya, lovely!